In episode 23, the founders pull out a game they picked up at Origins this year, Nuns on the Run from Mayfair Games and give you a walkthrough and review. Then Tony gives you all the news from around the gaming world and the others throw in their two cents. The gang then presents their second semi-annual Secret Cabal Playlist which is their favorite games right now or the ones we want to play most. Rounding off episode 23, the founders talk about their favorite RPG characters to play.
Nuns on the Run Walkthrough: 00:31
Nuns on the Run Review: 00:41
Gaming News with Tony Topper: 01:00
The Secret Cabal Playlist: 01:26
The RPG Characters We Like To Play: 02:00
- The World Board Gaming Championship in Lancaster PA is going on this week. We’ll be attending on Saturday, August 4th. If you’re going feel free to hit us up. We’d love to sit down and play a game.
Opening Banter Topics:
- Lots of game days took place between recordings. We discuss our plays of the following games: Kingdom Builder, Fresco, Eketorp, Coloretto, Le Havre, Munchkin: Zombies, Thunderstone Advance (Epic), and Wiz War.
- Chris shares what he loves about the Gods and Kings expansion for Civilization V.
- Jamie picked up the Alan Wake series during the Summer Steam Sales and loves it.
- Brian picked up Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion and is making galaxies in the editor.
- Tom Vassal previewed Descent 2nd Edition, afterwards Jamie was all sweaty and shaky.
Nuns on the Run Walk-through and Review
Gaming News with Tony Topper
Product Announcements / Releases
|Kingdom Builder won the Spiel des Jahres! We reviewed Kingdom Builder in episode 10. 3 out of 4 of us recommend you check it out! =p|
|Village is the Kennerspiel des Jahres, coming to the US soon!|
|2011 Dice Tower Awards have been announced!|
|Star Trek: Catan™ previews at Gen Con, Indianapolis in August 2012.|
|Mage Wars Finally Releasing at Gen Con 2012!|
|Five new games on Pre-Order from Stronghold Games!
Milestones – Strongholds first foray into eurogames!
Little Devils – A devilishly simple trick-taking card game for up to 6 players!
Crazy Creatures of Dr. Gloom – From the great designer, Michael Schacht, a genius design and great fun, all in one!
Revolver: Ambush on Gunshot Trail (Expansion 1) – The first of a series of expansions to “Revolver”, their wild west shooter!
Revolver: Hunt the Man Down (Expansion 2) – The second in a series of expansions to “Revolver” including new locations and new ways to play.
|Descent: Journeys in the Dark Second Edition now available in stores!|
|Dungeon Command: Sting of Lloth and Heart of Cormyr are now available! A new head-to-head miniatures skirmish game for two to four players. It features themed miniature factions designed to play as unified war bands, in a game eliminating luck-driven mechanics in favor of player-driven skill, creativity, and quick thinking. You can also customize your own warbands using multiple Faction Packs|
The Keep, a hobby carrying case to safely store, organize and transport many different types of games. Using a modern design featuring removable chambers, adjustable compartments, and labels nearly any piece used in popular board and card games will fit. Highly configurable, THE KEEP comes with the accessories you choose for the games you play.
Made for Play: Board Games & Modern Industry is a documentary produced by Stephen Conway and David Coleson of the Spiel Podcast that shows the in depth process of developing and manufacturing a board game. They go into the is Ludo Fact facility in Jettingen, Germany. Ludo Fact is one of the largest board game manufacturers in the world. If you find this topic interesting, please check out the Ludology episode where they interview the owner of Panda Game Manufacturing Company. It’s an excellent episode that gives insight from the perspective of someone interested in the costs of producing game components.
Crowd Funding Projects Ending Soon (Kickstarter, Indiegogo, and Ulule.com)
Shadowrun Online: Experience Shadowrun with your friends and plenty of enemies in a true cross-platform game and determine the future of the 6th world!
Heroes of Metro City – A Super-Powered Deck Building Game! Be the Hero — defeat the Archenemy before Metro City is destroyed! Choose your own combination of super-power cards as you play.
Red Box Games’ Fantasy Miniatures! Fund the retool from metal to plastic of several items and sets!
Secret Cabal Playlist
To continue the tradition, we make our top 5 game list. This is the second in the series we’ve done with the last one being 6 months ago. Today we get to see if those same games are on the list and what new games have shown up.
- Descent: Journeys in the Dark Second Edition (Replaces Civilization the Board Game)
- Warhammer 40k (Replaces Dungeons and Dragons)
- Mage Knight (Replaces Warmachine/Hordes)
- Mouse Guard (Replaces Galaxy Trucker)
- Wiz War (Replaces Dread Fleet)
- Village (Replaces Agricola)
- Civilization: Gods and Kings (PC Game)
- Kingdom Builder (Replaces At the Gates of Loyang)
- Alhambra (Replaces Galaxy Trucker)
- Warhammer 40k or Fantasy or just get some miniatures gaming in. (Replaces Dominion)
- Betrayal at House on the Hill (Same as E11)
- Eminent Domain (Replaces 7 Wonders)
- Nuns on the Run (Replaces Merchants and Marauders)
- Kingdom Builder (Replaces Elder Signs)
- Mouse Guard (Replaces Gates of Loyang)
- La Havre (Same as E11)
- Thunderstone Advance (Bumped down 7 Wonders)
- 7 Wonders / Eminent Domain (7 Wonders previously ranked 2nd, At the Gates of Loyang bumped off the list)
- Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion (PC game)
- Wiz-War (replaces Galaxy Trucker)
RPG Characters We Like to Play
For this weeks RPG discussion the founders share the character archtypes, personalities, tropes, etc. that they like to play in tabletop RPG’s. The vast majority of our tabletop has been in a traditional fantasy setting, so we detail what recent characters we’ve played and discuss what draws us to playing those particular characters. Listen in to hear the details and let us know what you enjoy playing!
Support The Show!
If you’re thinking of purchasing any of the games that we talked about today, you can check out our Amazon Affiliate store!